Living in Isolation: Am I Bored? Truths


Good morning! Thanks for stopping back. Or, WELCOME, if this is your first visit.

If you've seen my other posts you know that my husband is a member of the RCMP which moves us all over the place. We are now located in Northern Saskatchewan. We are 1.5 hrs away from a grocery store. We are 4 hours away from decent shopping and we are 7 hours away from an air port. 

From the road where we walk the dogs
It's February. It's cold here. This morning is -28 degrees before the wind-chill. My dogs don't even want to go outside. When it's this cold I don't usually want to go outside either, however, I can. I make sure to dress for it. No skin is exposed and I won't stay out for long. So do I get bored when the weather is this unforgiving and I'm stuck in the house all the time. (I use the word stuck loosely because I'm never actually trapped here.)

ABSOLUTLEY I get bored! And I have bad days; and I cry; and I get frustrated. But then I realize just how lucky I am. I get to live in a beautiful place that most Canadians will never get to see. I have an incredible husband who chooses to support me in everything I do. 

And then I get bored again; and I whine about it; and I claim there's nothing to do. But you see, that's a lie. I have so many things available to occupy me. All things that I normally love to do. Except on the days that I'm being a Negative Nelly, all those things aren't good enough. I want more access to things on those days. Those days happen to be about 2/month. Can you figure out a pattern?

Enough with the negative talk now. That's not the kind of person I am! I am fortunate enough to get to experience this beautiful town and I am grateful for the life that is being provided and I am in love with the life I'm making.

SO, WHAT DO I DO WHEN I'M BORED?

Crossing the bridge coming into town.
I have a great many things that I can tackle when I'm feeling bored. 

My absolute, number one cheerer upper is spending time in the kitchen creating something delicious. I always feel a great sense of satisfaction when I produce something yummy.

After that there's sewing. You can see here how much I like to sew.
I like to exercise, I have a pretty great home gym in the basement. I do weights, I do cardio. I follow along with exercise videos. Lots of equipment, lots of choices
I enjoy reading and learning. Most of my books these days are non-fiction. I recently read Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by  Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. It was an incredible book. Watch for a review.

I really enjoy relaxing in a hot bath with some essential oils and/or Epsom salts. Sometimes it's a bubble bath. Have you ever tried putting coconut oil in your bath? You should try it. make sure you clean the tub after the coconut oil bath, before you shower. You don't want to slip and fall.

I do this, I blog. This is a learning process. Fun though. 

Television is at the bottom of this list because I don't feel productive when I'm watching TV. Does anyone really?

Then there's the super mundane tasks for when I'm wanting to mix it up a bit.. Take the clothes out of the drawers and re-fold them neatly. Take all the dishes out of the cupboard and wipe down the cupboards.  You get my drift. There's always something for me to do. There's always work that could be done.

Oh yeah, I can always just say "Fuck it all!" and head back to Cape Breton and visit my parents for a bit. I'm blessed to have that option.



I look at each move we make as a new adventure. I could complain about being so far away from so many amenities but that's not going to make our 2 years here go by any quicker. I choose and will continue to choose to be excited about every new place we go. I'm choosing to embrace the life.

Are you a metro, country, or isolated person? Where would you live if you could live anywhere?



Out on the lake


Sunset from my kitchen window




Same lake, frozen now.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Routine In My Days

Do We Need New Furniture?

What I've Been Reading