My Sewing Addiction

Quilt # 2. Made for a friend
Disclosure - I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase through a link on this page. No extra cost to you.

Do you quilt? or sew?

I do! I just got into it about 6 moths ago. I definitely didn't think it would be something I would enjoy, but here I am, 6 quilts and a set of placemats later. OK, so I don't have the last 2 quilts or the placemats finished yet. But the tops are sewn.
My very first quilt. No tools. Just kitchen scissors and a sewing machine.

When we were getting set to move to the middle of no-where in Northern Saskatchewan my parents gifted me a sewing machine. Something similar to this one. I was shocked, not in good way either and according to my Mom it was written all over my face that I wasn't impressed. She knew something I didn't know at the time - sewing is awesome.

Shortly after we got settled in our new home I decided I was going to try this sewing thing. I took out my new sewing machine and figured out how to use it. Mine is actually very user friendly. I cut fabric (not square) and stiched it all together and ended up with a wonderful, colourful quilt that is very full of  'character'. <--That's my nice word for screw-ups. 

I decided that I like this quilting thing, so I got myself some tools. I use this Fiskars 45 MM Contour Rotary Cutter. It's less than $20 on amazon. My cutting mat is this. And a ruler.

And I just kept on trucking.




Quilt # 3. Commissioned by another friend.

Quilt # 4. A Christmas quilt for myself. 

There's an endless world of things that you can create. Quilts, bags, clothing (everything from pajamas to ball gowns). I have an aunt who sews and sells underwear. 

I don't plan on getting into the sewing underwear business but I'm going to keep at it and soon try some different projects. I'd really like to have a designer handbag. You know, designed by Sheena. It's still designer even if it's designed by me, right?

Here are a couple of photos of my 2 unfinished quilts and the unfinished place mats that I'm working on. The reason they are unfinished is because making the tops is the fun part. Putting it all together and actually "quilting" it is...while being very rewarding, it can also be very frustrating. Well, in my experience anyway. 


Summertime Quilt for our bed
Throw size quilt for a gift


Below is the set of unfinished placemats I made




So do you sew? Do you want to learn to sew? Do you have any projects in mind? I'm curious and always looking for new ideas. Drop me a line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Routine In My Days

Do We Need New Furniture?

VDL Make-up Review