The Green Up

My house produces A LOT of garbage. I can't understand it, we are just 2 people. We don't eat a lot of packaged food. Yet, somehow we produce a lot of trash. For a while I didn't really notice it because I don't always take out the trash. But Hubby has been a little busier at work so I've been doing the trash a bit more than I normally would. And Holy Cow. There is just so much.

I haven't told my Damon yet but I've made it my mission to cut down on our production of trash and I've started doing my research. I feel like he might find out when this post goes live. haha. Obviously I know that I should be taking reusable bags for groceries and such but I'm usually running out the door at the point that I remember them. I've decided to make it a priority, when I get the coolers ready to go to town for groceries I will also get the cloth bags ready and put them with the coolers.

I have told him that I want to buy a giant thing of dish soap and just refill our small bottle. That's a start right? Instead of constantly buying tiny bottles of dish soap. I also hope/plan to do that with the hand soap in our home. I have an order of soaps from Groovy Goat Farm & Soap Company that I'll be picking up when I meet my parents in Ontario next week. I'll share these with you when I get them. Why is this paragraph a different size?


We do absolutely take water bottles with us everywhere we go. It pains me to pay for individual bottles of water. I also pack my husbands lunch in a reusable bag with reusable containers. My containers are still plastic but I feel like it would be counterproductive to toss them and replace with glass. They will be replaced with glass as they go missing or wear out.


I want to move to zero waste slowly, using baby steps so that we don't get overwhelmed and quit. 

Beyond those ideas I want to get some reusable produce bags, make the switch to bar soap. Ohhh!! Yes!! I just started making some reusable make-up remover pads with some scrap flannel fabric I had on hand. I use about 5 of those cotton pads a day so that should make a huge difference. Not that they take up a lot of space in the trash but I like to think that making this switch will be significant to the environment. Recently I ran out of window cleaner so I rinsed out the bottle and filled it with straight white cooking vinegar and I've been using that to clean the glass around here. Is it weird that I'm pretty sure that it works better than the chemical form I had been using?

Basic, just like my arrow drawings.



What are your favorite ways to cut down on waste? Help a girl out with some suggestions.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Routine In My Days

Do We Need New Furniture?

What I've Been Reading