The Thing That Makes Me Happiest


Hey there people!
As the title of this post suggests, I'm going to tell you about the thing in my life that makes me the absolute happiest.

The thing that makes me happiest is likely not what you would expect... I love my husband and my family, and they all make me happy. I love my pets and my home. I like to cook and hike and bake things and do all kinds of other exciting things. But the thing that makes me the happiest is strapping my booted feet onto a rigid board and propelling myself down a snow covered hill.

On top of Ol' Smokey
Snowboarding... Snowboarding is the thing in this world that makes me the happiest. Everything else in the world disappears when I'm strapped onto that thing. Now, I'm good at it, I'm not great. I can get from the top of the hill to the bottom without and issues, and I can do a little bit of showing off while getting there; but I cannot land a jump. I can certainly hit the jump, absolutely cannot land it. I know that this is a fear/confidence thing. I'm not really disappointed by this fact. I still love snowboarding.

I have no explanation. It makes me happy. Knowing that I'm going to be on a snowboard soon elates me. I'm on cloud 9.



I remember once that I'd been on an international trip and when I returned and was on my way to go snowboarding I commented that I was more excited for the snowboarding than I had been for my trip. Even writing this post is making me excited and happy. I don't even live near a hill now. I live in Saskatchewan, for fuck sake. There's not much snowboarding or skiing going on around my parts.

My dream is to someday go to Switzerland and snowboard in the Alps. We have to work on Damon's skiing skills before that trip though. ;)

In the meantime I'm hoping to learn about Kiteboarding so that I can kind of curb my appetite for the hills. We have yet to see how this will go. 

 I grew up on Ski Cape Smokey with my parents putting me on skis for the first time at just 2 years old. I spent many days each winter on that hill. And began to learn snowboarding when
 I was just 8 years old.  I should also mention that my Mom raced in the Canadian Winter Games in Brandon, Manitoba for downhill skiing. I think it was the 1979 games. I could be wrong on this date though. I didn't really realize how much I depended on this recreational opportunity until it was taken away from me when Ski Cape Smokey was closed for a few seasons. For everyone in my small community it was a place for fun and socialization. Perhaps this is why I feel so strongly for snowboarding, maybe it's the association of always feeling welcome. It doesn't matter why I feel like I do. I just know that snowboarding makes me happy. 







Do you have a hobby that makes you as happy as snowboarding makes me? I'd love to hear about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Routine In My Days

Do We Need New Furniture?

What I've Been Reading